I love books! Classics, fiction, non-fiction, reference books, business, biographies… the lot! Moving to Bahrain made me look for books with a local theme. So, here are my top 5 novels:
- ‘Meeting Point’ by Lucy Caldwell is a story following an Irish expat couple moving to Bahrain and life taking an unexpected turn.
- ‘Cities of Salt’ by Abdulrahman Munif narrates the story of the discovery of oil in the Arabian Peninsula and the radical impact of that discovery on the people.
- ‘Arabian Sands’ by Wilfried Thesiger is a classic read of an explorers view of the ‘Empty Quarter’ of Arabia in the middle of last century.
- ‘Girls of Riyadh’ by Rajaa Alsanea is an easy read set out in the form of e-mails, recounting the personal lives of four young Saudi girls dealing with the relationship between men and women in the Kingdom.
- ‘Finding Nouf’ by Zoe Ferraris follows the search for a missing woman in the middle of the desert providing a fascinating glimpse into the workings and assumptions of Saudi society.
What have you been reading lately?